sábado, 30 de marzo de 2019

Wish Clauses


I wish+ past tense: It is used to talk about imaginary situations both in the present and in the future, which are impossible to change in the real world.

  • I am a woman and I wish I didn’t have a moustache/ I wish I were rich/I wish I were/was slim.
  • (It is raining)I wish I had an umbrella.
  • I wish tomorrow were/was Saturday (Ojalá que mañana fuera sábado)


I wish+ subject (except I)+would: It is used to talk about REAL situations which usually annoy you, and that could be changed in the real world.


  • I wish he would shave. (I don’t like my husband with the beard)
  • I wish you would stop watching TV while I am talking to you(=why don’t you stop watching television while I’m talking to you. It’s annoying)

Compare:
I wish he would come(I want him to come)ACTION
I wish he were/was here with us now (SITUATION) (not * I wish he would be…)

I wish somebody would buy me an apartment by the beach. ACTION
I wish I had an apartment by the beach. SITUATION
Practice:
https://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/wish-exercise-1.html

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario